Monday, January 23, 2006

First injury of the season....

Dugan, Steve, and I spent a day skiing at Breckenridge this past weekend. There was powder around, but we had to search hard for some fresh stashes. There really weren't many people there, but everyone was trying to take the new imperial express lift. So we decided to go play around on peak 10. We made a few challenging runs and spotted a slope (Bronc) that had not been touched more than 3 times. We couldn't get to it because a downhill course was blocking our entrance, so we headed into the trees and found a path to the slope. It was going to be our last run of the day. The powder was shin to knee deep. Dugan and I started hammering down the slope, loving the fresh powder and our new K2 seth vicious skis. I was hugging the left tree line and came over a larger hump when I unexpectedly got my weight too far forward. I quickly found myself barreling head first towards the trees and attempted to bail, but my right ski caught and quickly ripped my right leg one direction and pivoted my right foot the other. I am still not sure how I sprained my ankle in a ski boot, but I guess it can happen. I was not about to go down the hill on a sled, so I sucked it up and skied down with most of my weight on my left ski. At that point I was more frustrated with ruining a great powder run than injuring myself.
After taking my foot out of the ski boot, I couldn't put any weight on the ankle and Jennifer made me (and most of you know how stubborn I can be when I get injured) go to the urgent care center to have it X-rayed. Luckily nothing is broken and I should be back on the slopes in no time. I thought some of you might enjoy some gross pictures of my foot. If not, stop reading here :)

Three days post injury. The swelling and bruising is finally starting to go away.
My air cast. This thing is a life saver. I can actually put some weight on my ankle when wearing this. I think I will be keeping this thing around in case I need it again in the future.

1 Comments:

At Thu Sep 07, 09:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey was just rolling thru wanted to let ya know ya got a cool blog here Nice Job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home